Monday, July 16, 2012

Comprehensive overview of the Cricut Lite Cartridge "Chore Chart"

Today I am posting a comprehensive overview of the Cricut Lite Cartridge "Chore Chart." This cartridge does not have a handbook like the full cartridges.  Instead you receive a laminated tri-fold to show you the layers and various cuts. In this post, we will be looking at:

  • the "Sample" that Provocraft prints on the back of the cartridge box
  • a closer look at the pages in the tri-fold "handbook" with detailed explanations
  • and a spreadsheet that includes each phrase, word and image with the corresponding page number
When this cartridge first came out I headed straight to the Walmart web site and purchased it in their cricut lite cartridges value bundle with Boys will be Boys.  I was certain that this cartridge would finally bring order to my household!  The children would know what their jobs were and when to do them and I would never have to nag again.  Hey, a girl has to dream.
This is the sample sheet they put on the back of the cartridge box.  They kind of "had me at hello" because I am such a sucker for this kind of playful style, I love the color palette and because that little baby on the right in the 2nd row from the bottom just had to be in my arsenal.
This is the front and back of the tri-fold.  It shows all of the layers for each key on the overlay. I not a big fan of the tri-fold.  I like to get a good look at the images so the bigger, the better.  I have a harder time imagining the possibilities of the images when the layers are not spread out more. Below is the instruction guide they provide on how to cut the layers:
Too me, this is not very helpful. I'm not being sarcastic - I bet there are a lot of crafters who get the handle on cartridges quickly.  I am just not one of them. I really wish there were better instructions with all of the cartridges.  There are lots of videos on Youtube but I like step by step direction.  I did a lot of searching on the web and solicited help from the Cricut message board and that was helpful.  My hope is that my blog will become a resource cricuteers can turn to.  But I digress...

Below is a look at the chore chart skeleton.  You will need to select 4 different colors for the 4 layers used to make this image. I tried to use my own color scheme and was very disappointed with the end result.  Selecting colors that make the title legible  is not as easy as it seems.  Plus, once you have changed the color scheme of the chart, you will have to think carefully about the color scheme for all the other elements.
I am sorry this image isn’t larger because it will be the largest piece you will cut with the cartridge.  I used my 12 x 24 inch cutting mat and paper and I still didn’t feel like the chart was large enough.  I recommend making the actual chart on a piece of display board and then using all the other cuts to make it come alive.  If you do decide to make the chart yourself, you will need to tinker with the sizes of the other elements so that they fit the scale of your chart.  Even when I used the chart on the cartridge, I still had to fool around with the element sizes.  Make sure you have lots of scrap paper to work with.

Below is a look at the days of the week to use on your chart:


Below is a look at one of the chore squares you can assign to your "chorees."  This one is for getting the car serviced - in our house, it would be for Dad.  You could also use it for washing the car or driving carpool.


This next graphic is the overlay which indicates which button to use for each image.  The overlay's are placed on the Personal Cutter and the Expression but if you have a digital interface like the on Expression 2, Gypsy or the Imagine, you can keep the overlay in the box. The same is true if you use Design Studio and Cricut Craft Room since they have virtual overlays.

And finally; the list of all of the images and phrases on this cartridge with their page numbers.  If you find any errors in the spreadsheet, please let me know so I can correct them. If you would like to share this information on your blog, instead of copy and pasting this info, please paste a link to my site. The spreadsheet below is saved as a JPEG but you can download a PDF version of Chore Chart here:




One last thing... I'm hoping that some of you reading have had some experience with this cartridge because there is something that bothers me about the arrangement of the chore chart if you use the layout the provide.  Where do you put the "choree" names?  The front of the box gives a loose example:
I'd love to hear how you or someone you know designed their chart so that it included the names of family members or roommates.  Perhaps each person in the family has their own chore chart? Maybe you create a column to the left of the chart where you put the chores for one person and then you put stars under the day's of the week they were completed?  Please share what you know so that this post is complete!





2 comments:

  1. When you cut your "chart" on the 12x24 matt, what size did you set the dial to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I used the interface on my expression, I spent a bunch of time dropping the size down in .25 inch increments until it reached a size that the machine would accept. This was a year ago, and I'm so sorry, I don't recall what the exact setting ended up being. However, I went to Cricut Craft Room today to see what would work and this is what I got:
    1) change the orientation of the image so it is vertical rather than horizontal. This will make the width of the table run with the the 24 inch stretch of the mat.
    2) Set your x and y axis to .5 x.5 so you are within the cut margin.
    3)set your width to 11 and the height to 18.49.
    This should work.

    I have to say that I was a little disappointed that the scale of the chart did not take up the entire width of the 24 inch(say 23 inch to account for the cut margins) mat when the height was set to 12 (actually 11). It would be nice to take full advantage of the mat potential.

    ReplyDelete