Monday, July 4, 2011

hello creativity!

I haven't even looked at my sewing machine since Christmas, but yesterday I needed to mend something and the next thing I knew I was making shorts from an old pair of jeans and embellishing with Heather Bailey fabric. It was such a nice feeling to quietly stitch and openheartedly consider what to do next.
Sometimes I think it is a shame that I scrapbook for a job. I just don't tinker creatively anymore. I have all kinds of excuses: I don't want to make a mess in my studio; I need a change of scenery; I feel like If I'm feeling creative, I should be working; or I don't want to start something I won't be able to finish.. RIDICULOUS!
They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem so I'm making a public announcement of my intention to change. Any objections? I didn't think so.

Actually, it has been a pretty artful summer thus far and I didn't even have to instigate my own momentum. Between the twin's scrapbooks I'm doing for my long term client, the projects I'm preparing for and teaching in the art and creativity classes at camp and my undeniable need for some sort of outlet, I have just "found" myself standing at the drafting table, adhesive in hand.
A big part of my drive comes from the awesome projects I've been doing with my cricut. I love that machine. I never thought I would get into using a lot of commercial products in my work but here I am, having a great time with layers, clean edges, shadows and cartridges. I think the jump start has been awesome in helping lay down that first piece of paper. Often, it is that first step that gets in my way to actually "DOING" something.
I used to think that the cricut would cause my work to look cookie-cutter-drone-ish and that the process of putting everything together would be like painting with numbers. This is so off base. My cricut pages and cards usually take much longer to assemble that "free hand" work and it is easier to know when to stop and do a know project. I cannot tell you how many unfinished pages I have in page planner sleeves that are missing a title or embellishments because I can't find what I'm looking for.

Now that I am doing some of my own work again, I will have something to post/ share on my blog. I'm hoping the next post will be very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment