Thursday, June 18, 2009

Painting marathon - Day 2

I finished painting #2 - Replicating Patterns in still life set ups. I can see the areas I am improving and areas other that need improvement are becoming more obvious. This one was much more fun than I thought it would be partially because I watched the entire 1 hr 20 min. lecture before I tackled the second half. It is so hard to watch the lectures because I just want to jump in and start painting. Also, watching someone paint is not an action packed experience but this lecturer was pretty darn good. The way he hit the shapes with bits of color, maybe just a value higher then the previous spot and BAM!, the whole object became 3 dimensional. It was amazing and made a big difference when I started on this painting at the 50% mark.

Painting #2 Set Up

50% (ish) complete

I went in and layered some paint over the background and foreground to enhance the texture, then took to the details.

Painting #2 Completed

I really enjoyed breathing life into this one - sometimes it can be incredibly stressful - I think it boils down to the original sketch. If you can put down a good drawing and your perspective and proportions are accurate you only have to work on color and details. A bad sketch on the other hand, spirals into a bad painting and worse, a bad painting experience.

Painting #3 Set Up

My next project is on casual composition. It took me all afternoon to create a set up and I am not 100% pleased . Here is my painting at 50% complete. I've got my work cut out for me on this one.
I just don't have the time to get hung up on small details with just 12 days left and 5 more paintings to do. That includes the final which we had 3 weeks to complete. Stressed?! Maybe a little - but there's no time for that right now...

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Jilliene! When I saw the 50% done one on top above, I was like, "Oh, but the lemon doesn't intersect with the handle and the herb doesn't intersect with the spout like in the photograph, I like those intersections." And then I saw the fully complete one, hooray! I would suck at painting, I don't know how you do it. Congrats!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add your Business in Yellow Pages Directory.
    Find Any Business near your place.
    USA Yellow pages, Business Directory
    http://ypagesonline.com
    http://ypagesonline.com/states/
    http://ypagesonline.com/directory/

    ReplyDelete