Thursday, May 22, 2008

Meet my new friend...

So ever since Inspired last month my artistic expression has gone in a different direction. I've been trying new things. I've played with pencil crayons, pastels and watercolor pencils. I've tinkered with collage, transfers and metal. I really had no idea that I was on a soul searching journey. I just didn't have that kind of clarity (or introspection for that matter). But over the last week, I became aware that there was a tension building up inside of me. A push, pull or internal pressure that was becoming more apparent with each day. To be honest, I thought it was PMS but on Tuesday the universe decided to give me a better understanding of what was happening to me. Through a series of completely unrelated and insignificant events that I won't get into, I began to see that I was on a path. Where it is headed, I do not know, but the awareness that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing is crystal clear to me now and I feel a sense of peace unlike anything I have ever experienced. Here is how it came to me:

On Tuesday night I had a VERY important meeting that I had been waiting for for several weeks and as I was about to leave, I could not find the paper with all of the information. The paper with the organization's name, address, phone number and directions was gone. I looked everywhere but could not locate it I am a pretty organized person- this kind of thing just doesn't happen to me so I felt really irresponsible. I had a hard time being in my skin that night and decided to go to bed early but I couldn't sleep. I played in my art journal for a while referencing a book on faces I had found in the garage. My work wasn't what I wanted it to be so I decided to write on the page to offset the troubled sketches. My words became a powerful statement. A truth that I had not conceded to. I had talked around it but I had never given it to the universe as an intention.

Once I did it I felt an incredible load lifted. It was remarkable. I tried to sleep once more but something was stirring so I turned the light back on and put pencil to paper.

That being said, I'd like to introduce you to my new friend...

I know, it is just a face, but it isn't one of Paulette's faces or Kelly Rae's- it is mine. It came from inside of me. I didn't copy it; in fact I wasn't even trying when I drew it. I was just sketching without any rules or preconceived ideas just like when I write in a diary. I guess it is one of those things that either makes perfect sense or it doesn't depending on where you are in your life.


I was worried I would not be able to replicate her, or at least a version of her but I did. I sketched the woman below. She has some Paulette's painting's qualities - this was unintentional but I think it is part of the process. I am really excited to do one on a canvas.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jilliene!!! You made me cry, a good cry:) The beauty of realization. I remember going to inspired unsure of my art, but open to possibilities.I left that event embracing my art and passion. I am so happy for you. Isn't it amazing feeling. Love your friends. Have confidence in your artistic voice. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete