Thursday, November 15, 2007

Being mommy trumps art

It has been one of those weeks. The kids have been sick, no one has gotten much sleep and my days have been busy with mommy duty. The laundry hasn't been folded, I haven't been to the grocery store but my kids have been cuddled and cared for. I have managed to get a few minutes here and there to play in the studio but I am itching for a full day to finish a few things, add to a few others and start in on new projects.

Since I have been spending a lot of time in bed with my little ones, I've had time to read a little more of "Life Artist" by Ali Edwards (love it!) and think about some of the projects I want to try from Donna Downey's "Creative Albums". I also did some writing and sketches in my art journal and now have an exciting list of things I want to explore in the near future. Here is a sampling:
  • blow up some of my favorite photos and create a series of layouts around them.
  • do an entire album around a theme of geometric shapes
  • use binder albums and varying page sizes
  • incorporate envelopes
  • photo transfer onto acrylic
  • take a picture everyday and make an album of just those pics
  • buy some Heidi Swapp ghost clocks
I also spent some time surfing the web while my kids slept next to me. I had the pleasure of joining the community at Studio Calico. I just signed up for their monthly kits and I cannot wait to receive my first package. I love getting goodies in the mail! The ladies on the message boards are so sweet and I'm looking forward to getting to know them. I'll post my first delivery when it arrives.

Being a mommy - taking care of my babies when they are miserable and scared, is an unbelievably hard job. I never knew how hard it would be until I was in the throws of it. I am so grateful that I am capable of doing that job and that I have art to look forward to - it keeps me full and happy and willing to give of myself.

1 comment:

  1. I'm at SC too. You are going to love there kits!

    ReplyDelete